Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Ridge!!



      Hi everyone, today’s adventure starts at 6:30am one beautiful Monday morning at a nice place called The Ridge.  Monday mornings are for some reason my favorite time to fish there is something about starting the week off looking out over a beautiful lake.  Watching the fish jump, the squirrels play ducks playing in the water is such a wonderful way to start out the week.  There is a park near me that is always a great fishing spot and full of wildlife I have seen everything from fox to every other little Midwestern little furball running around. 

     That Monday morning I pull up to the parking lot and there is a retired couple exiting there vehicle as I park.  I park and unload my gear from my car.  Normally I carry to the lake 3 rods to with me already set up with the tackle I use the most.  This day I don’t plan on being out there but maybe an hour and I decided to take 2 poles and just a small tackle bag.  I start walking to the lake it’s not a long walk.  The couple starts walking the same time as I do.  Being a friendly guy I say good morning that starts a little conversation with the gentleman.  We start talking as we walk it was a great conversation.  I get to where I am going to fish and we talk for a minuet more and he continues on his walk with his dog.  

     I set my stuff down and take a drink of my water and pick up my fishing pole.  Now let me tell you growing up with a father and brother that are avid fishermen I have picked up a few tips of what work in the lakes around here.  If you were to ask them they will tell you that all you need is a buzz bait, a spinnerbait and plastic worms.  If you are in deep water maybe a crankbait.  Now they hadn’t told me what kind of buzz baits to try.  So I stop by the local store and grab a buzz bait.  I got a BooYah Clacking buzz bait not knowing that they have a piece of metal that taps the blade as it is pulled through the water.  That is what I had tied on my line. 

     I take my line and cast it out.  With buzzbaits you retrieve them very quickly.  The one I was using since it was a “Clacking” one it is really loud and that really pisses off fish.  I reel it in and no bite.  I throw out again and again no bite.  I see the couple with the dog follow the bend on the other side of the lake following the trial out of sight and sound.  I throw out again just settling in on my rhythm.  I am fishing some trees that are sticking out of the water about ten feet out from the bank.   I reel my bait past the tree and that is when it happens.  Something strikes my lure!  My medium heavy rod doubles over like I have never felt before.  I jerk back setting the hook and start reeling furiously.  Watching the water for any evidence of how big he might be.   I glace down and my reel and realize my line isn’t reeling in and that my drag is way to light for this fish I stop reeling and tighten the drag.  I start reeling finally starting to make some progress he is swimming back and forth in protest as I bring him closer.  As I get him to the bank I finally get to see this fish.  I take the pole and switch hands and grab the line with my hand and start pull him out of the water seeing this fish was such an excitement.  He was definitely the largest bass I have every caught I grab his lip and try to remove the hook from his mouth.  I was so excited I was shaking and couldn’t do anything.   I finally get it out and look at this fish that is over 26 inch long and so big around I couldn’t get my hands around his whole body.  I had just caught a 10 pound largemouth bass.  I snap a picture or two and then send him back on his way and released him back in the water. 

     This day is one I will remember for the rest of my life.  I know this fish is possibly the largest fish I will ever catch.  For that reason is why I released it.  I have got a lot of slack for releasing him.  Before anyone has a chance to tell me I'm crazy for not keeping him.  Think about this what about that one time some little boy’s grandpa takes him out fishing for the first time and that little kid catches that beautiful fish.  Think about the little girl that is out fishing with her dad that works to much and catches that fish.  You never know who might catch that fish and that fish could welcome a new man or woman to the sport of fishing. Believe me I would love to have that fish hanging on my wall right now but something about releasing him just felt right. 

I hope everyone has enjoyed.  As a friendly reminder while out fishing remember the old saying "leave no trace".  If you make a mess or have trash please take it with you.  The environment will thank you.  Maybe even reward you with a new personal best catch!!  Have a great day and FISH ON!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment